About Hong Kong Dance Awards
The Hong Kong Dance Awards were established in 1999 by the Hong Kong Dance Alliance to acknowledge outstanding achievements in Hong Kong Dance industry and raise public awareness of the diversity and excellence of local dance scene. Awards are presented to recipients annually at a Gala Performance and Award Presentation Ceremony.
The Gala Performance and Award Presentation Ceremony is an evening of celebration of the achievements in Hong Kong Dance each year. Since 2005, a recognized dance artist has been invited to be artistic director for the evening. Venue and production of the evening’s performance is generously sponsored by the LCSD.
All Hong Kong dance artists and practitioners, and any persons contributing to Hong Kong dance productions are eligible for the Hong Kong Dance Awards, regardless of whether they are members of the Hong Kong Dance Alliance. Among others, Hong Kong Dance Awards have honoured:
- choreographers, dancers, directors, dance companies, independent dancers and dance organizations,
- educators, educational institutions, community and youth groups
- lighting, costume, and sound designers, composers, dance photographers, critics, producers, sponsors, presenters, activists, advocates, and patrons.
Unless otherwise specified, the Eligibility Period is from 1 January to 31 December of each year preceding the Award Presentation Ceremony.
Leads: Natasha Rogai, Shirley Loong
Panelists: William Chan, Anna Cheng, Gillian Choa, Pewan Chow, Daisy Chu, Gary Gordon, David Liu, Carlo Pacis, Wong Hang Fai, Jacky Yu
Leads: Allen Lam
Panelists: Ronly Kong, Tsang Kam Sing, Stella Lau
Award Selection Jury
All Shortlisting Panelists
All Members of the Hong Kong Dance Alliance Executive Committee
The Selection Process
- Outstanding Choreography
- Emerging Choreographer*
- Outstanding Large Venue Production (with more than 750 seats)
- Outstanding Medium Venue Production (with 250 to 750 seats)
- Outstanding Small Venue Production (with less than 250 seats)
- Outstanding Performance by a Male Dancer
- Outstanding Performance by a Female Dancer
- Outstanding Ensemble Performance
- Outstanding Lighting and/or Visual Design
- Outstanding Set and/or Costume Design
- Outstanding Music Composition and/or Sound Design
- Outstanding Dance Education, Youth Dance, Community Dance, or Environmental Dance
- Outstanding Services to Dance
- Distinguished Achievement*
* Only accept nomination from Expert Panelists and Alliance Executive Committee Members
2. Inviting experts in the field to be panelists to shortlist nominees in each award category;
3. The inclusion of panelists to vote on awardees together with members of the Alliance Executive Committee